2.03.2009

chicken with grape tomatoes and mushrooms

Top 3 Hated Foods as a Child:
1. Olives
2. Tomatoes
3. Mushrooms

Top 3 Hated Foods as an Adult:
1. Olives
2. Black Olives
3. Green Olives

I have come around to tomatoes and mushrooms. So much, in fact, they have become among my favorites. Sorry, Olives, but I just don't see that happening for you. Maybe when I am 90 and my taste buds go and I love Chinese Buffets and Golden Corrall.

Also, the only reason I bought mushrooms and tomatoes was because they were a steal! I am normally too cheap/poor.

Anywho--this recipe was inspired by another, but is my own. Ehem.

Serves 2...but you can easily control this by increasing the amount of chicken/ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts (I cut them in smaller pieces so they will cook faster)
Olive Oil
1/2-1 Pint Grape Tomatoes, halved
1/2 Pint of Mushrooms, sliced (slice them upside down...it's easier, in case you are dumb like me and common sense decided not to inform you of that)
1/2 an onion, chopped (I used a few green onions because they were about to kill over in my fridge)
4 dashes of dried Thyme
1 tsp Lemon or Lime juice

In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil over medium-low heat. Add chicken and season well with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, only turning once for about 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
OR, cook the chicken for 10 minutes then get tired of waiting because you are
eating all the tomatoes that are supposed to go in your sauce, put the chicken
in a glass baking dish, cover with foil, throw in a 350 degree oven for about
20-40 minutes while you are making your sauce. That's what I did.
Using the same skillet, raise the heat to medium. Add onions (unless you are using green onions, then you can add everything all at once). Cook until tender. Add tomatoes, mushrooms and thyme until tomatoes release their juices and get pruny-lookin'. At that point, remove from heat and add about 1/2 -1 Tbsp Olive oil and 1 tsp lime or lemon juice. You are done. Serve over chicken and marvel at what you just cooked.

Aw, yeah.

Substitutions:
Green Onions for Onions
1 can Diced Tomatoes for Grape Tomatoes
Garlic for Mushrooms (or add garlic anyway)

2 comments:

  1. You changed your menu. Yes, of course I noticed because like I said, I'm now addicted to you/your blog. And I kind of like that you confronted me via e-mail today, I've been following all along, but I decided that I didn't like the big long list on my profile, so I made all of them anonymous. BUT, for you my friend, you will be the one blog I publicly follow! Btw, I'm looking forward to onion chicken, which was taken off the menu for this week and Italian chicken was moved up. (See, I told you I noticed.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my great pleasure to dine for the first time at the Golden Corral this past weekend. It was my 16-yr-old bro-in-law's choice, and it was his birthday, so noone could protest. I felt as if I had been transported to another planet. People-watching does not get better than that. Food does.

    I am very much enjoying "Cooking While Poor". Way to be!

    ReplyDelete