1.29.2009

hawaiian haystacks

Believe it or not, finding a picture of this was hard. I found this image off of some ladies old blog. I hate olives. And that big clump of cheese at the bottom bothers me. Beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway--easy, delicious and cheap. I am sure most of you have had them (although the old blogger claimed that only native Utahans knew of them, that's bull. I am from AZ and my WA relatives knew too). If not, do try them.

Cook some rice. Heat up some cream of chicken soup (you can use milk to make it thicker...and 1 can feeds a good size portion to 2 people). You can add cooked cubed chicken if you like, but not necessary.

Here's the fun part, add any toppings you like. You really can't go wrong, except with olives. Here are a few typical toppings I have seen:
  • shredded cheese
  • Pineapple Tidbits
  • Green Onion
  • Celery
  • Shredded Coconut
  • Slivered Almonds
  • Chow Mein Noodles
  • Diced Tomatoes
  • Peas
  • Mandarin Oranges
  • Green Bell Pepper
  • and last night we tried Bacon because it was in the fridge. Yum.

I always use whatever toppings I have instead of buying more. Less exciting, but it saves me cash.

1 comment:

  1. Alright, so I'm not the biggest fan of Hawaiian Haystacks, HOWEVER, I'm a huge fan of cheap, and cooking is something that I've never been good at because I get so dang frustrated with our limited options. SOOOO, I'm super excited about this blog here, and will be checking it constantly. You're the best Linds!

    ReplyDelete