2.22.2009

pork chops with sweet tomato sauce

I altered this recipe quite a bit. It called for Golden Raisins...I wasn't going to buy them. I made a few other changes and this is what I ended up with. It was pretty good. The only thing I would change is I would make the onions smaller. I always get impatient while chopping because they hurt my eyes.

Serves 4

4 pork chops
1 can whole tomatoes in juice
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar (white or cider)
4 tsp brown sugar
a few dashes of parsley (opt)
S & P
3 Tbsp Olive Oil

Heat 1 Tbsp Olive Oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until golden and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add can of tomatoes with juice, vinegar, water, parsley and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce; simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat remaining Olive Oil over med-high heat. Season both sides of pork chops generously with salt and pepper. Add pork chops to frying pan and cook until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Serve sauce over pork chops.

3 comments:

  1. Or you could just leave out the onions completely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my two cents worth...take a small piece of bread and put it under your tongue while chopping onions, and you will never cry again. Don't know why soaking up your saliva keeps you from crying, but it works!

    ReplyDelete